Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Is the Customer a Sounding Board?




In an effort to stay fit I splurged on a membership in a local fitness center. It turns out that the fee covers locker room services where there is a shower with more water pressure than what I have at home. I consider this to be a luxury and after a nice work out look forward to the opportunity to clean up prior to returning home.
On three separate occasions I was dismayed to find that the soap dispenser was empty. Knowing that most businesses do not hear about what is out of order because most people do not tell the manager but do tell their friends, I decided to inform management.
First it was a chore to find the manager. I went to the front desk and was informed that indeed there was a manager and that she would be summoned. The manager did not appear. A shift supervisor did come to the desk.
I informed the supervisor that the soap dispensers were not filled. He informed me that he was short of staff.
While I found that interesting I thought that it was a lame excuse. I asked the supervisor if he felt better now that he had told me his difficulties. I had come to the desk seeking a remedy, not seeking to be his unpaid counselor.
The supervisor had lost his bearings. His role is to care for the customer, not to make the customer the recipient of his problems in management. When you are on the job, don't forget your reason for being there; service. Thank your customer for informing you about the quality of your service. Take action to participate in customer recovery. Your customer is your partner, not your counselor.

No comments: