Sunday, December 20, 2009

HOW CAN WORK PROVIDE SATISFACTION?


Believe it or not I had a free latte at Bloomingdale's this week, but it was the experience that I remember. As Christmas approached I was out shopping when the lady behind the coffee machine asked "Would I like a latte?"

I answered, that if she might be so kind, that I would be delighted. Her response: "Of course, that is my job."

What struck me about her response was her direct connection to her job. She understood that she had a purpose to fulfill and was happy to do it.

Today's worker can choose to identify with the purpose of their work and contribute to success or can choose to go through the motions and return home, after work, uninspired.

What I refer to here is the direct connection between working with a purpose and satisfaction.

When a worker identifies with the goal of the company there is synergy. You feel that you are part of something. You contribute to achieving the goal and lo and behold you have a better outlook on life.

No comments: